Translation: To the Lord, in whom dwells the fullness of divinity, wisdom, and knowledge, this structure, Fitzgerald Hall, is dedicated and erected for the purpose of instructing youth in the commandments of God and in human prudence. In the year of our Lord, 1911.
Click photos for larger views.
The cornerstone of the original Catholic High at State and Roosevelt Streets returned home on October 15, 2014. The Class of 2015 helped raise money to excavate it from the original building and presented it as their senior gift to the school.
A time capsule was discovered by a faculty member inside the stone. It contained two newspapers from 1911, four coins, two business cards from local priests, a photo of the 1910 Little Rock College football team, and a drawing of the building by the architect. The discovery of the newspapers led to the realization that Catholic High began its current renovation 101 years to the day after the cornerstone was installed.
The cornerstone resides in the main foyer as a monument to our history.